PDA

View Full Version : Black Desert Online

Kotono
02-04-2016, 01:29 AM
Alright, so this new mmo game comes out next month. (https://www.blackdesertonline.com/)
I've only recently found out about it when a friend brought it up and asked if I was going to play it.

I did all my research and have come to decide that I may like this game, at least a lot more than I do any current mmo games.

Anyone else planning to play this when it comes out?

It currently has a character creator available for download. And the options are quite insane. Can do pretty much anything except add new parts, heh.
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/ccm/

It has housing and seems to focus mostly on crafting and guild pvp warfare. I seem to find a lot of recent news about more pve focus coming along too. The game also features action style combat which you would be quite familiar with if you played other games such as TERA and more recently, Blade and Soul.

Overload
02-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Well the game is very grindy, the quest give you nearly none xp, but you still need to do them because you get some free stuff for housing/trading and skill points.
You got action style combat with the melee classes, with the ranger for example you got an auto aim, so it's not entirely free.
PvE is not much there except giant field bosses that you won't be ablt to see most of the time because you won't see anything of all the effects of hundreds of other players killing it.
PvE is more about housing and building your crafting/trading network. For that it needs many hours of grinding to get somewhat automated so you can earn of it and have less need to grind.
Yeah PvP is great with capturing castles and such, but the class balancing is so broken... They are trying to fix it with awakening all classes, they get like that new abilities and new weapons. But the uppdate isn't even fully out in Korea and could take long time to get here.
To the classes:
Warrior: He got some nice bulk and cc, he's ok, neither bad or op.
Ranger: At the beginning great, but get fast repetetive with charging shots, jumping shots side ways, back etc. She' a bit of glass canon and has some melee abilities and with awakening she's fully melee, don't ask me why o.O
Sorceress: She's the favorite class of most players, with her you have the best chance to see what is possible with BDO's combat style. She's a melee mage, with many teleports/dodges and some range abilties.
Beserker: He got many ccs and melee aoe, he's great in massive group fights, but alone too weak.
Valkyrie: Similar to warrior, but she gets buffs and heals and together with the sorceress she's a tad op.
Wizard/witch: Great for fights against groups of enemies, he/she got the strongest aoe skills of the game, alone he/she's a glass canon.

Anonymous
02-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I was really quite interested in this, but unfortunately they decided to IP block everyone outside of NA and EU.

pcid93
02-05-2016, 01:38 PM
I was really quite interested in this, but unfortunately they decided to IP block everyone outside of NA and EU.

You can still access the game with a VOIP fairly easily, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem tbh.

I have actually been looking at this game for a while, and it has its pros and cons. It is highly pvp focused, as the pve content is practically non-existent(I don't consider crafting etc. as pve content, but rather sandbox content. I also don't consider mob grinding as pve content). If you go into this game for pve, just be prepared to be thoroughly disappointed at the completely retarded mob and boss AIs. All of the npc enemies are slow and extremely stupid.

Personally, I think I am going to play it. How long I play it depends on the community and how much I end up liking the end game pvp. The game is definitely not for everyone, though.

Edit: Oh, and like someone said above, it is one of the grindiest MMOs ever. Half or more of your time in the game will be grinding if you plan on being serious about pvp. It has a fun combat system, so that makes it a little bearable, but...yea.

Kotono
02-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Every mmo in existence is nothing but one big ass grind. Some just make you do it differently than others. You either enjoy the grind or you don't. (Hell, these nutaku games are huge grinds themselves)
Either way, all we can do is try it out and see if it is worth the time to play. I'm skeptical, since I've heard a lot of both good and bad aspects.

pcid93
02-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Yea, it's true MMOs are pretty much all grindfests, but BDO definitely takes it to a new level. It literally will take years to grind to max level, and much, much longer to get the max gear(some people may never get max gear simply because of terrible RNG luck). And by grinding, I mean literally killing mobs over and over and over with no purpose except exp and (loot for money). Still, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but not everyone likes that in a game.

That said, I do think everyone should try it, even if they don't like that aspect of the game. It has a great combat system and the world is very interesting and wondrous to look at. The character customization is also very detailed and one of the selling points of this game.

Kotono
02-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Level 100 is the hard cap, yes, but that is not the goal you are meant to reach. Level 50 is the soft cap, and that is where it starts taking forever to level up. People have been saying level 50 only takes a few days to reach and this is where the endgame actually begins. Any levels after that are just bonus.

pcid93
02-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Level 100 is the hard cap, yes, but that is not the goal you are meant to reach. Level 50 is the soft cap, and that is where it starts taking forever to level up. People have been saying level 50 only takes a few days to reach and t his is where the endgame actually begins. Any levels after that are just bonus.

Any levels past 50 can be counted as bonus, yes, but not if you want to be competitive. Level 50 is indeed a softcap, but only -because- the levels after it take so long to achieve. For casual players that don't want to be competitive in the game, yes, it doesn't really matter much. Not trying to be a downer or anything, that's just how the game is. Personally, I find that ok. Casual players shouldn't be as strong as competitive ones that put in way more work.

Edit: It's kinda similar with gear. +15 is the base that pretty much anyone can achieve and most players will have, but after +15 is where the gears really gain a huge boost. The people that grind more/are luckier with RNG will be far above everyone else, the closer they get to +20(max). Gear, however, seems to get a bigger boost, and even harder to achieve as well. This is actually the thing that might prevent me from getting too into the game. I will probably love it until RNGesus brings his wrath upon me.

I am praying that this community will value skill, and that there will be regular player-made or GM pvp events where gear is equalized. That would be very fun for everyone in my opinion. I think how this game will turn out depends on how the community turns out, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.