PDA

View Full Version : Small graphics needed

Kotono
02-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Some of you may notice that certain forum/wiki sections are still missing character icons. We should fix that.
It may also be possible to get a better icon for existing ones.

Point being, feel free to submit icons here. Generally, I tried to make it the face of the main mascot where possible. Except with PPS, but oh well.

Minimum dimensions are 48x48, must be a square.

Oh yes, and if anyone is good with pixel art - wouldn't it be awesome if we had our own set of custom emoticons? :cool:

Flan
03-13-2016, 06:05 PM
If you have a few more details on what you're looking for I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it. If you're just looking for essentially cropped images to use a icons then that's no problem, but if you'd prefer them to have something behind them (like a basic background) to make the styling more uniform that's not really a problem either, just need to know which would be preferred. As for the custom emoticons, what did you have mind there? Most forums just have little image pertinent to the content, but are you looking for actual emoticons that portray some sort of emotion?

Kotono
03-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Actually, a more uniform style for the forum icons would be wonderful. All I've done is cut out a portion of a screenshot, heh.
Would be better to have just the character portrait against a common background. I personally would prefer main story characters as the figure.

For emoticons, something like https://gyazo.com/bc06ca8759cfb835704faa5b396656a3 is about perfect. Preferably using one or more characters from any nutaku games.

Flan
03-14-2016, 02:02 PM
So you do want expressional emoticons then?

I don't want to make any guarantees on the time tables, but I'll work on the small board images.

As for the emoticons I'll attempt them as well after the board images. I'm not really a big spriter so no promises on quality there, but it doesn't hurt to attempt it at least right?

Is there any flexibility with the color schemes and how the actual forum looks? This is vbulletin right? It just seems a little plain for what vbulletin can do even with free design options.

Kotono
03-14-2016, 02:45 PM
As the artist, the freedom is yours.
If you want to propose design changes, that's fine. We can always review them to see what fits best.

Flan
03-14-2016, 04:39 PM
As the artist, the freedom is yours.
If you want to propose design changes, that's fine. We can always review them to see what fits best.
Well I'd recommend going a bit darker with the color scheme, while white is neutral it does cause eyestrain over extended periods of time. I would certainly not recommend going black or anything as it's cliche and unprofessional, but something a bit darker than white would be nice IMO. Aside from that I'd recommend a forum logo or something so it doesn't look quite so plain. For me personally the current wallpaper is cut off completely so I literally just see an elbow personally, I could be an out-liar, but if that's a common problem amongst the forum goers then the wallpaper might ought to be replaced as well. Nothing major for design changes, but since the design is the first thing people see something more than a plain white board might be a slightly better hook for people to register.

MiqDoloran
03-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Well I'd recommend going a bit darker with the color scheme

Yeah, I think this would be nice. IMO the current theme looks outdated with the gradients. Perhaps we could switch to something closer to Material?

Kotono
03-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Will look into it. I've never played with the styling.
I would just install alternate styles, but then they wouldn't have all the personal modifications I've done to this one.

Flan
03-17-2016, 08:28 PM
If you might be changing the color scheme after all should I wait on the board images? I'm still working on rendering atm though.

Kotono
03-17-2016, 11:03 PM
I don't really know what people would want to see, exactly. Are there any example? Maybe other live boards?

MiqDoloran
03-18-2016, 02:55 PM
I don't really know what people would want to see, exactly. Are there any example? Maybe other live boards?

Here's (http://themeforest.net/item/metro-a-theme-for-vbulletin-42-suite/3555714) something close to what I mentioned earlier. I think it's easiest if you pick a couple of styles and make a poll to decide which to use. Or we could get people to nominate what they like and vote on those. This thread doesn't seem to be getting much attention though, so you might want to make another one and see if anyone bites. People could just be indifferent.

Flan
03-18-2016, 03:13 PM
There's lots of vbulletins out there, but I honestly doubt if you asked you'd get a response from people. The responses here are almost exclusively limited to the boards about the various games though with that said there isn't much room on the board to go outside said topics here. With niche content comes an unresponsive community about other matters and a woefully inactive one, in number this board has a decent amount of members, but it hits well below it's weight class in terms of discussion and activity not that it's a problem for such a board just something to ponder, but that brings me to my point, it's highly doubtful that the majority of people care one way or another. Leaving it as is leaves it as a generic board and it'll continue as it has, changing the theme won't change much if anything. Only 2 people have bothered to say anything about it at all, with that said and I mean no offense theme-wise it seems as if it's the straight default. In terms of the board it serves what it serves, but there is nothing outside that to actually encourage members to be active here, as I mentioned people's posts are almost exclusively concerned with getting help or information and there are few and far between of people actually trying to help, the members themselves have expressed that nobody is really interested in helping and I largely contribute that to the forum itself, it's an information dump it's not really a community. Cosmetics are simply cosmetic, the white theme is rather straining on my eyes personally. Something close to what Nutaku uses would be safe considering most if not all of the people here use that site anyway there shouldn't be any troubles with using a dark blue theme.

No need to download a theme or anything just change up the style variables.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/stylevars

MiqDoloran
03-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Seeing as there's not much opposition to a change, are we going ahead with this? You could mess with the vars manually, but I think a pre-built style would save you the trouble of making it flow. The biggest thing is just to get a dark theme; I hadn't noticed before, but a skin like this (http://www.vbstyles.com/vb4/forum.php?styleid=73) is actually hella nice on the eyes compared to white.

Flan
03-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Also using characters only go so far, the other boards wouldn't have a graphic if that's the only guideline so something needs to be decided for the rest of the boards if you really want all of them to have some sort of uniformity. Random anime renders would not only save the time of rendering, but they'd be a style match for instance for the art forum find some sort of anime painter though with as small as the board images actually are getting enough detail to show that might be an issue.

Kotono
03-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Will have to speak with tomaa about it some more, but when I brought it up he said it might break the wiki to change it now. We'll see.

Completely changing the whole style to a new one will remove all my custom edits, and I'm not currently sure what all I've done any more - hah

If darker and wider is all people want, I don't think a whole new style is necessary for that. The one linked to above is much closer to default look than this one actually is. Mostly has adjusted colors from what I can tell.

Art doesn't HAVE to be all girls from nutaku, but it would fit the atmosphere better. Forums that wouldn't have a mascot girls can just use any other character.

MiqDoloran
03-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Alright, hopefully something can be worked out. On a side note, I think you forgot to enable credits for posts in the Hitsuji Chronicle forum.

Kotono
03-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Sorry, but both tomaa and I have been busy doing our own things with the other site this weekend. It is now working much better than before, so I don't mind posting the url now, hah.

http://iwara.tv for those interested.

We'll look into a style adjustment as time allows. But we can't do anything that would break our wiki.

MiqDoloran
03-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Oh, so that must be the thing Flan mentioned in chat. You guys have been working on this for a while? Never noticed anything mentioning the "other site" before yesterday.

Kotono
03-21-2016, 01:10 AM
Well, tomaa has just been helping mostly in past few days, with also some help in the past.

Thing is, we just released this new design for it so it has a lot of issues that are needing fixed.

Kotono
03-22-2016, 02:52 AM
Alright, so I had a chat about changing style colors with tomaa.

Turns out that many images are tailored to the current colors, and won't fit a darker background. It's an optimization method.

Basically this means that if we are going to change anything - be it colors or a complete design change - it won't be any time soon since it would be a project in itself. It would take some time to get it done and ready to actually use.

@MiqDoloran

We did have a look at that metro style you linked to, and it could work. Does look nice at least. But still would need a lot of time to make any kind of switch possible without leaving problems.