PDA

View Full Version : About the girls' names...

fluffs
04-26-2016, 07:42 PM
This is a complaint post.

I'm not going to concern myself with the missing storyline for main story and event (even though that translation is really the only reason to play this in English). Nor will I complain about "manyu" or "ampies".

Flower girl names are in some cases ridiculous. Note that in JP they were written phonetically, so there should be no confusion whatsoever what their names were. In fact, a lot of times

Rosa Novalis? Originally it was ノヴァーリス = Novalis. Fine, that's not a big deal.
Rose Diana? ロイヤルプリンセス = Royal Princess. Again, fine.

Here are some that aren't fine with me:

Gomphrena Globosa. What kind of a name for a girl is that? センニチコウ= Sennichikou. A quick google search shows that Gomphrena Globosa is the scientific name of the flower, but that's a horrible, horrible name to attach to a girl. You already left Yuki Yanagi alone, can't you just call her Senni Chikou?

Cary Ophyllus. This one is even WORSE. The original name is カーネーション = Carnation. Why could she not be called Carnation?

Serrata Rosalba. WTF. Originally she's クレナイ = Kurenai. And technically she's a hydrangea serrata 'rosalba'. But again, it's a horrible name to attach to a girl. The original name, Kurenai, is just fine since it's a japanese flower to begin with.

And so on and so forth. I won't go over each name that bothers me, but there are a lot more. Scientific names are not actual names. They're designations. Identifiers. Please use a more name-like name for the flower girls.

MiqDoloran
04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Well, their line of reasoning went something like, "it should be accessible to people who don't know flowers and they should sound like names." But they weren't consistent with any of it and they butchered the names trying to split them up or make them sound "people like". lol Cactace

Don't know who thought they had to make it seem like the flowers had real names. Would've been fine to just give them the colloquial names instead and not even try to pretend that they're just girls who happen to have flower names.

Wait there's a story missing!?!?

Masterwolf
04-27-2016, 03:48 AM
The names do not bother me at all. They are pixels on a screen and their looks are more compelling than their names. I know people with weird ass names and that does not in any way affect how I perceive them.

ickss
04-27-2016, 04:12 AM
Wait there's a story missing!?!?

In the dmm version, before (and sometimes after) a main-story/event mission starts there is a short phase of dialogue between the girls.

ZeroZet
04-27-2016, 04:36 AM
In the dmm version, before (and sometimes after) a main-story/event mission starts there is a short phase of dialogue between the girls.Was it there for launch / first event(s) or is it a more recent addition?

ickss
04-27-2016, 04:51 AM
Was it there for launch / first event(s) or is it a more recent addition?

I started FKG on dmm one week after the launch on nutaku to see what content we could expect in the future (and my team there is already stronger due to a huge beginner boost). All i can say is that even the very first missions have this feature. And the event we are running on nutaku is currently a revival event on dmm, and have this feature as well.

Eab1990
04-27-2016, 07:44 AM
The campaign story dialogue wasn't at DMM launch. Neither was Lavender's story during the first time around.

As for the topic at hand, I won't pretend to be a flower expert (nor do I have the interest in looking further into it), so the inaccuracies of the names don't bother me much. I do admit a lot of them can be weird though, and I myself just default to the Japanese name if it suits me (e.g. Asagao instead of Ipomoea).

As I recall, there were enough complaints to Nutaku staff that they mentioned they'd give later names more scrutiny, but don't quote me on that. Feel free to keep pressuring them if you feel like it.

victor sant
04-28-2016, 01:42 AM
I think the main issues with names is the incosistency. For some they got the cientific name, for some they got the 'popular' name, for others they kept the japanese name... The criteria used varied from girl to girl and some ended with very bizarre names. (Most of the ones that uses cientific names).

Masterwolf
04-28-2016, 02:13 AM
I think the main issues with names is the incosistency. For some they got the cientific name, for some they got the 'popular' name, for others they kept the japanese name... The criteria used varied from girl to girl and some ended with very bizarre names. (Most of the ones that uses cientific names).

Ok this is bugging me. Why no s on scientific? If it's a second language issue, my apologies I have just never seen anyone leave the s off of scientific.

Tenhou
04-28-2016, 06:08 AM
I find the different names a bit weird too and would prefer some consistency.

The scientific or special names i do not care much for whether they sound like girl names or not, but having one called Saffron Tulip while the other gets called Gomphrena Globosa feels a tad weird. Heck, we also have Di Yu which is what they call it in chinese.

Ramazan
04-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Voted for yellow bar. But when i type cepha lantera to google images, i must see lost of flowers there, not some random images... Dont care if its scientific or not, all what matters is they are flowers right?