PDA

View Full Version : How feasible is DMM for a non-Japanese speaker?

MalusCorvus
07-29-2017, 10:24 PM
So, it's not uncommon on these forums to hear praise of DMM, or at least of its handling of games that Nutaku also has. There are also a few games on there that Nutaku doesn't have anymore (like Dragon Tactics: Memories), and a game Nutaku never had that I've been interested (Inma Kourin Devil Carnival, if you're curious).

However, as the site's in Japanese, I'm not sure how well I'll be able to get by as someone who not only not understand Japanese, but can barely read it... as much as I keep getting reasons to learn the language, that won't be happening for a long time if ever, so how doable is it for someone like me to use DMM?

Unregistered
07-30-2017, 01:59 AM
So, it's not uncommon on these forums to hear praise of DMM, or at least of its handling of games that Nutaku also has. There are also a few games on there that Nutaku doesn't have anymore (like Dragon Tactics: Memories), and a game Nutaku never had that I've been interested (Inma Kourin Devil Carnival, if you're curious).

However, as the site's in Japanese, I'm not sure how well I'll be able to get by as someone who not only not understand Japanese, but can barely read it... as much as I keep getting reasons to learn the language, that won't be happening for a long time if ever, so how doable is it for someone like me to use DMM?

Depends on the game, but I've been able to navigate through most of them without TOO many problems. I recommend you avoid games that are mobile only though.

Ramazan
07-31-2017, 01:24 AM

Depends on the game. You dont want to play "Text" heavy games. I can recommend you few options:

1-Aigis: You play aigis at dmm mainly for gameplay, its very good and enjoyable there i strongly recommend it. Im currently playing 2 accounts on dmm and 1 on nutaku (only for understanding Story and scenes, nothing more) since we have a dedicated english DMM wiki with everything in it. Well, we even have story translators actually so only scene texts remains if you care.

2-Kamihime: I dont know any dedicated english wiki or translation source but if you're mainly looking for gameplay KH is also a good option too.

3-Rebellion: A simple but fun game, its rating shouldnt be as low but it aint text based either and not story heavy.

4-FKG: Better ask this to fkg people :p

5-Kamihime dmm discord people plays some other dmm games, maybe you want to introduce urself there :p

Myrdin
07-31-2017, 03:20 AM
Pretty much what the others said. if you know the mechanics of the game its easy to move from the english version to jp

As for one more: Girls Symphony > is from the same team as FKG, the menu setup and mechanics are very close, some even similar to their first game, so its fairly easy to get into it if you played FKG before.

It has higher grade arts style than FKG and 2D papercut movable animations.

MalusCorvus
08-01-2017, 02:38 AM
My first hurdle, of course, is the registration screen. Kind of hard to register when I don't know what the fields indicate, and the first time I used Google Translate to translate the webpage... well, I'm guessing Google Translate wasn't meant to work with interactive pages.

Unregistered
08-01-2017, 12:47 PM
My first hurdle, of course, is the registration screen. Kind of hard to register when I don't know what the fields indicate, and the first time I used Google Translate to translate the webpage... well, I'm guessing Google Translate wasn't meant to work with interactive pages.

You can register in English and switch afterwards. The main site won't redirect you to Nutaku for English, only the games section will.

MalusCorvus
08-04-2017, 03:50 AM
You can register in English and switch afterwards. The main site won't redirect you to Nutaku for English, only the games section will.

Hmm, I'll have to look for the option for that then, I didn't see one at the time.