PDA

View Full Version : Puffin Browser

JSensei
12-28-2015, 02:48 PM
I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Puffin Browser. It is THE only reason I have been able to keep up with PPS despite visiting my family and being on the road for 6 hours yesterday.

If you need a mobile way to play PPS, Puffin is your answer.

chillinfar
12-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Flash apk + Firefox can do the same task

JSensei
12-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Can you run flash apk on iPhone?

chillinfar
12-28-2015, 04:23 PM
I see, North Korea... oh, i mean Apple

JSensei
12-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Eh... Apple ain't so bad. With a jailbreak, it's plenty flexible. It serves my needs, and that's all I care about.

chillinfar
12-29-2015, 01:16 AM
Jailbreak is heretical for applefags (and even illegal in some countries)

JSensei
12-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Jailbreak is heretical for applefags (and even illegal in some countries)

Since when is it "heretical?" Most tech savvy Apple users have modified their phones in one way or another. I've been running jailbroken devices since 2010.

As for the illegality in some countries, that's not really been tested. As long as you are jailbreaking to increase interoperability, it does not appear to break laws in many (or any) countries. While I'm sure you can pirate apps with modern jailbreaks, when Installous shut down, I would think that most people quit caring about pirated apps.

I only run my current jailbreak for MiWi (I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and therefore cannot tether my phone through AT&T) and a few small tweaks to add extra multitouch gestures. I don't even use MiWi that often, but every now and again, I'll lose internet and need to tether.

Schverika
12-29-2015, 09:39 AM
To get back on track, Puffin isn't the only way to do flash on a phone. Currently I use VPN Browser.

JSensei
12-29-2015, 09:46 AM
To get back on track, Puffin isn't the only way to do flash on a phone. Currently I use VPN Browser.

Is VPN Browser available for iOS, and how does it compare to Puffin?

I found Puffin worked pretty well, except sometimes it would fail to load the flash. Closing the app and reopening it seemed to fix the issue though.

Schverika
12-29-2015, 10:02 AM
The main reason why I stopped using Puffin was its inability to resize the flash. The sides would just get cropped off so if there was a critical button near the edge then I just couldn't press it. VPN Browser asks for a paid subscription to keep working, but that's reasonable for a working product. None of the other differences are deal breakers, but being able to fit/scroll the flash to a given screen size is essential.

Go look it up on an app market for iOS availability information.

JSensei
12-29-2015, 10:16 AM
There appear to be several browsers called VPN. How much is the paid version? Puffin is 4 dollars if you pay to remove the ads. I've enjoyed it enough that I may be willing to pay for it.

As for resizing the flash, I'm not sure what you mean. I've been able to change the size of the browser by pinch zooming. For better accuracy, I've used the in-app mouse pointer, which let me do things like set which picture I wanted a card to be. (I don't always like the level 100 the most)

I'll look into VPN. If it's faster or more reliable, I'd be down. I just want a way to use flash on the go, and I don't really care how I pull it off.

chillinfar
12-29-2015, 01:42 PM
The main reason why I stopped using Puffin was its inability to resize the flash. The sides would just get cropped off so if there was a critical button near the edge then I just couldn't press it. VPN Browser asks for a paid subscription to keep working, but that's reasonable for a working product. None of the other differences are deal breakers, but being able to fit/scroll the flash to a given screen size is essential.

Go look it up on an app market for iOS availability information.

That's why i use Firefox in Android (desktop mode), but swf isn't cached so i only use phone when i got Wi-Fi (128K means almost 40 min loading for PPS)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll test Puffin only to see bandwidth management.

JSensei
12-29-2015, 02:29 PM
On LTE, I load PPS in about two seconds on my iPhone 6 Plus. On 4G, it takes about 5-6 seconds using Puffin.

Vic47
12-29-2015, 07:33 PM
but swf isn't cached so i only use phone when i got Wi-Fi (128K means almost 40 min loading for PPS)
That's why i hate PPS: i can understand that when you use a low perfomance hardware like a cheap smartphone or a tablet and a mobile internet connection, but why i have to wait around several minutes every time i want to watch the H-movie on a PC with 100 megabit cable internet?? Damn, i can download the real 720p 5k+ kbps movie with like 5 different 5.1 AAC audio streams in the same amount of time!
As for resizing the flash - the only browser that is capable of doing that on PC is Maxthon (which i now use to reduce the CPU load and increase animations speed in PPS while rolling the daily SR out of N Gacha, by reducing PPS to the size of a box of matches)

SumTingRong
12-29-2015, 08:44 PM
As for resizing the flash - the only browser that is capable of doing that on PC is Maxthon (which i now use to reduce the CPU load and increase animations speed in PPS while rolling the daily SR out of N Gacha, by reducing PPS to the size of a box of matches)
you can always zoom in with the browser :)

JSensei
12-29-2015, 09:00 PM
you can always zoom in with the browser :)

I think what they're getting at is that you can physically resize the window, thus making it take up less data and making it easier to load on a cheap phone.

I thought they meant resizing the view too, but that is apparently not the case.

chillinfar
12-29-2015, 11:29 PM
Puffin streams the flash content (a lo Opera Mini), due to my bandwidth, this means a even slower performance than firefox, but less memory issues (changed to a quirky HUAWEI phone)